Plunge and Play: Your Palisade Plunge Itinerary
Palisade isn’t just for wine lovers. Advanced mountain bikers can find the ride of a lifetime in Palisade. The entire trail is officially open!
The Palisade Plunge offers 32-miles of downhill, backcountry, single-track bliss. Riders will plunge from the top of the Grand Mesa all the way to the valley floor. Descend 6,000 feet in elevation on this fast, fun, high-energy trail through untraveled public lands and the unbelievable scenery. This trail is guaranteed to keep your endorphins pumping all the way into the Town of Palisade.
The fun doesn’t stop there! Here’s everything you need to know to make the most of your Palisade Plunge trip so you can take in all the amazing sights, sips, and side adventures Palisade has to offer.
Day 1: Upper Palisade Plunge and Powderhorn Bike Park
- Powderhorn Mountain Resort will make a great basecamp for riders wanting to spend as much time as humanly possible on the trails during their trip. With easy access to the trailhead and a bike park of their own, you’ll be able to maximize your time on two wheels.
- Rapid Creek Cycles will be an awesome go-to resource for your Palisade Plunge experience. They will be able to answer any questions you may have about the trail and ensure you have all the proper gear. You can even rent bikes from Rapid Creek Cycles.
- Pali Tours is the perfect partner in your Palisade Plunge trip. They’ll pick you up at your accommodation and can help you plan the rest of your Colorado wine country adventure after your ride.
Enjoy the epic ride from the upper part of the Palisade Plunge trail! If you haven’t already, please make sure to be informed and prepared before you take the plunge. Check out what you need to know before you take the plunge.
For the first day, we recommend taking your time to enjoy and familiarize yourself with the Palisade Plunge by only riding the first part of the Palisade Plunge Trail. Use the rest of your day to play at Powderhorn’s bike park! Riders can connect to Powderhorn through the Deep Creek, Rime View, and West Branch Trails.
Powderhorn’s Bike Park trails will complement the Palisade Plunge with an additional 13 miles of downhill mountain biking and a variety of trails that will challenge even the most experienced riders.
When you’re done riding, take your time to grab a drink and enjoy the sweeping views and sunset over the Grand Mesa.
Day 2: Make the Full 6,000-foot Descent
For your second day of riding, you can shuttle from one of the Palisade Plunge partners to the trailhead again. For this ride, riders will need to assess their abilities. The most technically advanced and demanding part of the Palisade Plunge starts after Shirttail Point. This epic descent will take riders through backcountry terrain with technical sections and exposure on some parts of the trail to the valley floor and into downtown Palisade.
After your 6,000-foot descent from the top of the world’s largest flat-top mountain celebrate an epic ride in Palisade!
Grab a drink and cheers to a ride of a lifetime! We recommend grabbing a pint at Palisade Brewing Company or enjoying a handcrafted cocktail at Peach Street Distillery. Both are conveniently located in downtown Palisade.
Day 3: Explore Colorado’s Wine Country
Take this day to relax and play in Palisade!
- Wine Tours – If you just can’t wait to get behind the handlebars again you can rent a cruiser or e-bike from Rapid Creek Cycles and ride the Fruit & Wine Byway. Want to sit back and relax as you tour Palisade’s wineries and vineyards? Check out all the unique wine tour options available in Palisade.
- Take a relaxing float down the Colorado River – Book a river trip or rent gear to float down the Colorado River from Pali Tours or Palisade River Trips.
- Farm Tours – From lavender fields and peach orchards to alpaca farms, Palisade has a ton of great options to have some farm-fresh fun! View farm and orchard tour options.
Need a little more inspiration? Check out our Guide to the Perfect Day in Palisade
Where to Stay
Colorado Wine Country Inn – Pamper yourself with first-class accommodations.
Spoke and Vine – Rest up at a newly renovated motel with lots of personality and amazing personal touches.
Basecamp RV Resort – make Palisade your basecamp for your Palisade Plunge trip and camp in the heart of wine country.
Powderhorn Ski Resort – Rent a tiny home up at Powderhorn Ski Resort.